Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The tent stays up

Wow, it is so peaceful up here right now. It's hard to imagine that this lovely tent was pitching wildly all night, and hanging off the edge of the roof most of the time. I tried to rig another tie-down point for it, and I'm hoping the winds will be quieter. Meanwhile I'm up here taking in the rays of sunset through the trees and rooftops of my neighborhood. I came close to taking the tent down today, but I couldn't bear to do it.

It says in this week's Torah portion, "va'asu li mikdash veshachanti b'tochaam." Make Me a sanctuary and I will dwell among you.

It's not as though I need to be in the tent to feel the presence of the holy one of blessing. I also don't think it is necessary to make a precisely constructed shrine (which is what the rest of this Torah portion, Terumah, is concerned with). I think of "va'asu li mikdash" as making space, first and foremost. Physical space and mental space. Pushing aside or taking away some of the stuff that makes us crowded, and creating an expanse. Feeling open and relaxed in our bodies.

For me, the charm of the tent is how it is so "outside"--outside the house, outside of the normal dwelling space, outside of the expected. It makes it easier to create the mental space.

I am leaving tomorrow to visit my brother in Winnipeg. He just called me. I gave him the tent weather report, and he gave me the Winnipeg weather report: highs ranging from -7 F to a balmy 5 degrees F. This filled me with glee. I will need to get out all my big fleecy stuff, my hand warmers and my mountaineering socks. And snow seal my boots. Yippeee!!

I went to yoga class today for the first time since my surgery. I've just finished the first phase of my reconstruction, and I'm a little asymmetrical, but I wore my skimpy yoga top anyway. This is my body and I'm going to be comfortable in it. "Va'asu li mikdash."

I have to go and complete my packing. The next post will be from Winnipeg!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy vey! Reposting to correct a spelling error! :-)

    Something fun happened today. In January, I had picked a "word for the year" to inspire and guide me. I picked 'decisive'. Then I immediately started second guessing that word. Ha ha. I thought it seemed kind of harsh and difficult. Why oh why did I pick it? So all my friends, who also picked a word for the year, were laughing with me about that. Then I got this email today from a local friend:

    "I think your word should be Kadima, I understand it is hebrew for Go Forward. That is better than decisive or bold. Good Luck!"

    It immediately made me think of you up in your tent on the roof, studying Torah. And truthfully, I like the word. And "go forward" woulda been two words, so that would've broken the rules, right? So Kadima it is... Wanna share it? :-)

    Love, Esther

    ReplyDelete