Monday, February 16, 2009

Guts

I would like to know what this woman has that I don't. And whatever that is, I would like her to bottle some and send it to me.

This awesome, beautiful woman is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. How beautiful? Check it out:


Chickies, this is a picture of her fighting for our rights in the Women's Law Project of the ACLU, which she founded.

Justice Ginsburg was being confirmed the week I brought Leah home from the hospital. It was then that I decided Leah was going to be a Supreme Court Justice. Note to Leah if you are reading this: Only a suggestion!!!

Justice Ginsburg has just had one of the most major cancer surgeries known to medical science, for one of the most dreaded cancers known to medical science.

She is going to be back at work on Monday.

I, on the other hand, am not back at work, although I'm starting to feel stronger. Yesterday I did my first push-up, and today I climbed on the monkey bars in the park with Bruno. I may go back to my yoga class soon. But emotionally things are still a little unpredictable. I'm fine one moment and in a tailspin the next. Like tonight when I realized that the little magnetic port in my tissue expander is going to set off the airport metal detector when I fly to Winnipeg next week. Luckily, TSA agents are no longer the hulking goons that they used to be. Even so, the thought of having to explain my situation to one of them is making me crazy.

I was thinking I need more guts than I currently have. Either that or a cool frilly collar like Ruth Bader Ginsburg is wearing in her picture. Although, come to think of it, if she worked so hard for women's equality, it's not clear to me why she should have to wear some girly thing on the bench. But whatever--it seems to be working for her. I'm trying to learn from her example.

3 comments:

  1. Ahem. I'll bet if you told Ms.Frillyneck about becoming a full-fledged doc in your 20s, hiking the entire Appalachian Trail, climbing numerous giant mountains, spreading real care to those in need of help, and also raising 2 fine kids, she'd take a step back and say, "I need to learn from this Dr. Marmot's example!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!Esther, have I mentioned how much I love you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I don't know about you, but I can't afford to have an annual CT Scan just to "check things out" all over my body. That's the only way they found her cancer as early as they did and the reason she's able to "walk away" from the deadliest of this awful disease. I checked because my dear husband is absolutely sure that if pancreatic cancer is hereditary he's going to get it. So we're a bit obsessive about it over here at the Frey house.

    And Dr. Marmot (oh, btw, you'll have to explain to us where the "marmot" came from), you're certainly allowed some moments of weakness. You're making pretty incredible progress yourself as illustrated by your writing out there in that cold tent of yours!
    xo, Lisa (and John)

    ReplyDelete