Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Stretching



Robin, my amazing physical therapist, asked me if I had a T-shaped object about 18" long, that I could use for certain arm stretches she is teaching me.I did have the perfect thing--my ice axe.
It might seem weird or dangerous to stretch with an ice axe, but it works quite well, and I get two side benefits from using it. One is that I always practice self-arrest* with it after I'm finished stretching. I've been careful and so far have not punctured my quilt or pillows ;-) Two, it lifts my spirits to be using my ice axe, even if it is July and I am here at 30 feet, max, above sea level.
*self-arrest: techniques for arresting a fall down a steep snow or ice slope, basically involving falling or flipping over onto your ice axe in such a way as to drive the spiky part into the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment